View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Maine and VT rivers?

I was in Maine this last fall-most inland rivers/streams and lakes are closed after Sept 30th. So figure that your trip.

I was guided to a stretch that was open to catch and release only but that is all I was going to do. The stretch I was on was the Grand Lake Stream. About 3 hours from Bar Harbor. Take food and a full tank of gas. Nice scenery but there's not much there. At least I didn't explore around to find anything. Crystal clear water nice holes and riffles. If you start at the dam make sure you are down stream from the red markers-must stay 150 feet from the dam. Water by the dam is deep as hell so no falling off the rocks there.
There you will find small-ish small mouth-very athletic and fun to catch
Brookies, and Land Locked Atlantic salmon. You see them sitting on the gravel-but they see you-and you are not the first guy throwing flies at them-but I had success. there's lots of room-about 3 miles of stream. Pay close attention to the bridge downstream from the dam-nice hole in that area not telling you which one.

There is a fly to use though. Funny thing is I ran into an older guy who was friendly and chatty. I was using a olive bead head wooly-he said here try this. It was a similar bead head wooly but had a little shimmer on it. He called it the Golden Retriever-you can buy them online from shops on the east coast. Its his fly he invented it and another guy ties them and sells the. anyway, he gave one to me and I started to catch the Atlantics on it. funny-it was really close to the olive wooly I was using-but the fishing was better with the golden retriever.

that's all I have. Have a great time and watch for moose. I never saw one but they are there.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

by the way. If you end up gong to Bar Harbor check out Pat's Pizza-best food we had while we were there.