View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Polorized glasses.Yes or NO?

A little info about sunglasses for ya: polarization is pretty consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer. Meaning that whether one wears $12 Berkeley glasses, or $250 Smith Action Optics, they both reduce glare about the same amount. the difference is construction.

Cheaper sunglasses, such as the ones I used to buy from say Wal-mart laminate the color/polarization to the outside surface of the lens. This laminate is a plastic film, which means that it will scratch pretty easily, reducing the effectiveness of the polarization, and robbing the user of optical clarity, requiring you to buy a new pair more often.

More expensive glasses, and in particular, glass lenses, sandwich the polarization/color in the middle of the lens, making them much more impervious to scratching. Also, all glass is not all the same. The higher the quality of the glass, the better the optical clarity, potentially allowing the user to see more detail from greater distances. The price paid for using glass is in weight. Glass is significantly heavier than polycarbonate.

Further, some manufacturers spend a lot of time and effort on the colors/gradient hues of their glasses, trying to filter out color wavelengths that hide fish from the user, or to reduce eye fatigue, or both. Naturally, all of that costs money as well.

Finally, there are considerations in fit and finish, style, etc. For instance, I used to buy a couple pairs of cheap glasses ($12-$15) every season, but a couple years ago, I decided to buy some premium sunglasses, mostly for the fit. The cheaper glasses irritated my ears, and put pressure on my temples, sometimes causing headaches. I found a pair of high end glasses that fit properly, and those problems went away. The other primary consideration for buying that particular pair was the glass lenses, giving me a real bump in optical clarity and good resistance to scratching, as I am constantly dropping my glasses.

My recommendation to you would be if the cheap ones are comfortable for you, go with them for now. meanwhile try on various pairs until you find that pair that gives you exactly the fit and finish, style, optical clarity, color/hue gradient that you need. then and only then would I pull the trigger on an expensive pair of shades.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark