View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any headache saving tips for a new tyer? (besides don't start the addiction)

Great thread.
Here are my two bits: I started a year ago, and I bought all cheap tools and materials because I didn't know if I was going to stick with it and as a result had to replace them all (not good economy). So buy good in the first place (I have a Peak vice now too). But don't overbuy (I did that too).

Be prepared to spend some time breaking thread, stabbing yourself in the finger, making awful looking flies, struggling with proportion, not leaving enough room for the head, breaking hackles and so on. That hateful period doesn't last long if you stick with it, but it is a desert you must wander through at first.

Be aware that the subject of fly tying is vast and fairly old, and once you get past the basic how-to books it is possible to evolve your thinking on the subject, which is a great process.

For books, I found "Essential Trout Fiies" by Dave Hughes very valuable because he shows you a basic set of flies designs from which almost all the others are derived, so it organizes the vastness of the subject into very containable sets of information (at least for me). I also found "What the Trout Said: About the Design of Trout Flies and Other Mysteries" by Datus Poper very interesting because it reduces the subject to what the trout actually care about (at least in his opinion) as distinct from what looks good to humans.

Finally, I love the Youtube videos, I never took a class. Davie McPhail is fantastic, but I like the ones in HD better because the detail is clearer.

Good luck with it. Your first effort is way better than mine, though I started with dry flies too.
Rob