View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sage ONE#5...Which Line?

I am in no way knocking RIO Gold, a great line I use a lot. Had I not tried the ill named "Expert Distance Taper", which I think should be reissued by the new owners as the "Presentation Taper", I would not have noticed any performance issue with my beloved ONE. And, hey, it could just be me (of course I doubt that). I have long maintained that for those with the experience to feel the difference, a big issue in fly rods is the difficulty in trying multiple lines on a given rod. It can be literally transformative though, in this case, it is more incremental. Its not the line I like, it is the line the rod likes.

Every July I host a line switching event in Craig, MT. All my buds in town plus anyone who wants in, meet on a lawn on a hatchless hot afternoon and bring our ubiquitous 9'/#5's. We switch reels around and cast one anothers rods with the varying reels/lines and, invariably, there are Holly Cows! about rod/line match-up revelations. Occasionally a frown too from someone who decides he bought the wrong rod but didn't know it. There are three fly shops in town though.

I mentioned the other day in a Scott thread that I have a 9'/#4 S3. I had tried it at Somerset and liked it but when I rigged it at home, I disliked it. What gives, I asked Scott? Try the SA GPX on it, its the line we used in developing it. OK, fine, this rod cast very well with GPX #4.5 but this is a blunt, short head, short rear taper, hingy, conventional Weight Forward line with a heavy footprint. Fine for casting weighted rigs with a thingamabobber I suppose but I don't do such fishing. So unless I have occasion to fish in Colorado, where this rod is a must fish and does fine, it stays in the closet with the Orvis and Winston rods I thought I liked while the Sage, Loomis and Hardy rods get all the glory. Now if SA or RIO would make the lines I like in half size increments, I will revisit this Scott 4.5 rod and in fact, Airflo did just introduce a 1/2 size heavy line. Hmm.