View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage ONE#5...Which Line?

I am in no way knocking RIO Gold, a great line I use a lot. Had I not tried the ill named "Expert Distance Taper", which I think should be reissued by the new owners as the "Presentation Taper", I would not have noticed any performance issue with my beloved ONE. And, hey, it could just be me (of course I doubt that). I have long maintained that for those with the experience to feel the difference, a big issue in fly rods is the difficulty in trying multiple lines on a given rod. It can be literally transformative though, in this case, it is more incremental. Its not the line I like, it is the line the rod likes.

Every July I host a line switching event in Craig, MT. All my buds in town plus anyone who wants in, meet on a lawn on a hatchless hot afternoon and bring our ubiquitous 9'/#5's. We switch reels around and cast one anothers rods with the varying reels/lines and, invariably, there are Holly Cows! about rod/line match-up revelations. Occasionally a frown too from someone who decides he bought the wrong rod but didn't know it. There are three fly shops in town though.

I mentioned the other day in a Scott thread that I have a 9'/#4 S3. I had tried it at Somerset and liked it but when I rigged it at home, I disliked it. What gives, I asked Scott? Try the SA GPX on it, its the line we used in developing it. OK, fine, this rod cast very well with GPX #4.5 but this is a blunt, short head, short rear taper, hingy, conventional Weight Forward line with a heavy footprint. Fine for casting weighted rigs with a thingamabobber I suppose but I don't do such fishing. So unless I have occasion to fish in Colorado, where this rod is a must fish and does fine, it stays in the closet with the Orvis and Winston rods I thought I liked while the Sage, Loomis and Hardy rods get all the glory. Now if SA or RIO would make the lines I like in half size increments, I will revisit this Scott 4.5 rod and in fact, Airflo did just introduce a 1/2 size heavy line. Hmm.