View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: June Caption Competition sponsored by Allen Fly Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffer View Post
"Yes sir, officer. That's right. My license was in my wallet and I'm pretty sure my wallet is somewhere in this couch. I didn't know what else to do."
There is a start/end to this, trust me.

Yesterday was a very long day (read my post on the UK board). And 99% of the above. Steelhead Trout Club of Washington's summer run fishing party on the Toutle River (ya, the same one that blew up years later).

My transportation was a Lambereta Motor Scooter, back pack and a bit of what I could 'afford' for fishing gear (not much). Competition was dawn Saturday to noon Sunday for the way in prizes (really good stuff!)

Didn't hook diddly, lost almost all of my mono line off the spinning reel, doubt I had an ounce of pencil lead left ... like 'Nada.'

Game over but the fellows loaded me up with new line, lead, etc., and I walk out in front of where the the 'weigh in' was happening and instantly hooked a fish (seriously, 1st/second cast). Beached 'him/her' with every one crowed around.

Off/cleaned and into someone's cooler. Huge HAZZZAD'S (skip the spelling here) and 're-load.' Couple more casts and "Fish On." End game of that was either fish would have take first place in 'Male/Female.'

But it was 'Game over' for Prizes at that point. (And no, they didn't "Change the Rules" for the 16 year old.)

Joined the Club when I was late 15 or early 16 ... now 71 and I still pay my 'dues.'

The end game of all that was a special plack at the 'Christmas's Party.' A big green plastic 'finger of fate' and plate inscription below. Still have same, look up and remember people/families who took a young guy under their wing.

I've tried for years to "Pass it Forward," I can only hope I've had some measurable success.

The end game? Two Washington Fish and Game Officers were there and watched the whole thing. 'May we see your license?' 'Can you hold this (rod);' and reached down back to pull out my wallet .. fingers on, almost out, and right down to the bottom. Had to pull off my gear to get to the bloody thing.

Found out a very long time later that several of the Club members had read these two nit-wits the riot act. One of which had paid for my fishing license. More story, but I'll leave it at that.

Frederick A. Evans