View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flies for RI trout - beginner

Hey Jay
Trout fishing just doesn't have the same attraction after you've caught a few stripers and blues on the fly.... fish that could eat trout for breakfast.
:
I live in CT ... 3 miles out of Foster
Good FW flies depends on where your going to fish.
In local streams I fish the Hendrickson hatch this time of season, then move on to another river to fish the Alder fly hatch, the main hatch there, then in a couple of weeks fish sulfers in a third river.
After that....no more trout for me 'till fall.. the salt is too attractive.
I haven't fished the Wood R. in 25 years so I don't remember what kind of hatches are specific there, but most area streams follow the same pattern
Large, dark shaded flies early are gradually replaced by smaller light colored flies..with mayflies anyways. Caddis don't necessarily follow the same rules

google a hatch chart for our area... you'll see what I mean