View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM

heronwheels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie in West Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishmich View Post
Stacey,
Welcome to the forum. I get pretty good advice on here so hopefully you will gain from others as well.
I am on the east side of MI and love to hit the northern streams.
I too am heading west in Aug/Sept. Not quite as long but I'll be there nonthe less.
I'd say of the way out there you can hit sooo many of the greatest trouts waters in the US. Between Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Idaho you are hitting the best areas. I a doing a a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons type trip and I plan on hitting the Henrys Fork in Idaho as well.

good luck planning out your trip. Take and post lots of pictures. travel safe.

JC
JC, I did a motorcycle trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in fall of 2011 and remember watching a fly fisherman in the park thinking about how I wanted to do it some day. Hope you have a really great trip, such a beautiful part of the country! I'll likely come back home through Wyoming. Where do you fish up north? I've only fished the Rogue here in Rockford and the Pere Marquette in Baldwin but hope to fish the Ausable, Fox and Two-Hearted by the end of the summer...my folks talk about packing into the Jordan River Valley before I was born and fishing for Brook Trout (I've always loved those stories).

mcnerny, thanks so much for the generous offer, I will likely be heading home through Wyoming. I haven't done much planning because I've been fishing about 4hrs/day so not sure which route I'm going to take but I always enjoy meeting new people of similar interests! Thanks also for the links, I remember seeing a post that Ard discussed fishing from his bike. I've gone a couple times wet wading but have yet to go with all my wading gear. My 3wt rod/reel is a 4pc. that was given to me by a friend but I picked up an inexpensive Cabelas 6pc travel 5wt. the other day that will fit in my topcase or side case so I can lock it up...I just have to get bag mounts for my new-to-me VStrom and I should be set. My wading gear should fit in the dry bag I strap to my passenger seat with my tent, sleeping bag and ENO hammock.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome!

The 17 1/2" Brown - I promise I wasn't squishing him!
Click the image to open in full size.

My Wet wading setup - pretty rough
Click the image to open in full size.