View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Sexyloops Mobile App flycasting instruction

Quote:
You also argue that hauling works via increased line speed and not additional rod bend. Ed Jaworowski disagreed with you almost 1 month ago at the fly festival in Waynesboro, VA
So long as both agree that hauling works, does it really matter why?

I will assume you are talking about increased distance.

For the record, I agree with Paul, and if weather permits and my video camera still works, I may be able to demonstrate that this weekend pretty conclusively, I think.

But, in words, I think that the fastest part of the haul occurs late enough in the stroke that the rod is already unloading while the haul speed is still increasing. So the rod is actually unloading during the haul and cannot be "increasing" rod bend. However, it is to a degree "delaying" both the rod unload, and loop formation as well. So in that sense, it IS increasing rod bend to some degree.

Since one can cast the same tight loops with and without a haul, that aspect is equal. Given equal tracking and overhang, the only thing left is line speed.to contribute to more distance.

Since it has been conclusively proven that rod bend doesn't contribute more than, tops, 25% to line speed whereas 100% of haul hand speed is contributed directly to line speed, I think the concllusion is in Paul's favor. Edit So, even if the haul added 25% more bend to the rod, that would amount to only 6 1/4% more to the line speed using the 25% figure for rod bend contribution.

Last edited by wjc; 06-07-2013 at 09:02 PM.