View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage ONE#5...Which Line?

I have not tried the RIO LT so I don't know how it would feel...sometimes we can be surprised if we have an open mind. But its diagram illustrates an elongated front taper, almost in the Wulff Triangle Taper category, making me question the positive + turnover of a 15'+ leader at short distances that Gold and, even more so, Expert Distance excel at. There is an intermediate front taper choice that I just realized from Russellb's post in the Reel Forum that I have neglected to try; the SA Textured TroutStalker. It is a great line on my #4 Zenith and, though it has a very long front taper of 13', that is nothing like LT's compound front taper of 28'. My instinct is that I might prefer TroutStalker in spring creek environments but on the Delaware or Missouri where my ONE sees extensive use the Expert Distance and/or Gold are likely better designs.

My experience with ONE is that it looses some of its sensitivity when over lined even a little...when I tried Grande on it my first thought was, wow, this rocks! The rod sure handles it with pop but, with further experimentation, the true to line size fly lines bring its laser-like tip travel into sharper focus and quicker recovery. Regarding the design of heavier still GPX, please note my harsh comments in an above post.