View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 06:55 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default So I sold a 9' 4wt Scott and I bought a 9' 4wt Scott...

I cannot deny one simple fact- I will forever be a fan of the older fly rods, say from the 1990-2000ish. Makers such as Sage, Scott and Winston get my attention.

Last year I scored a Scott A3 9' 4wt rod at a crazy good deal via the inter webs. Even though it was Scott's more wallet friendly series, the A2, A3 and now A4 are great rods at a great price. But as good as it is, the A3 didn't speak to me.

Soooo, the hunt began. First, sell the A3, which I did fairly quickly. Then search eBay and wait till the opportunity arrises. In the meantime, I visited my local Scott dealer to try the latest offerings. I cast both a G series 9' 4wt and a S4 10' 4wt. The G was too slow for my needs, the S4 was good but I didn't really want the 10 footer. Nothing against 10 foot rods, I have one and have owned a couple others.

Then the alert came from eBay- "items matching your description have just been listed". Game on, it is a Scott STS 9' 4wt, 2 piece- exactly the rod and action I was after and at a very reasonable Buy it Now. So I did....

All cleaned up, paired with an equally cool reel, a J Ryall #4 loaded with a Scientific Anglers Textured Trout Stalker in WF4F. Scott really got it right with this 904- well done.
Click the image to open in full size.