Thread: Wipers? Anyone
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wipers? Anyone

I can't help you with the location, never been there, but Wipers/Stripers will take most flies designed for them regardless of where they are, if you can match the available forage. I've never found it to be necessary to get too exact with patterns, but they can get selective at times & will key on specific prey. However, in that case fly size, profile & presentation is usually much more important than the actual pattern or color.

The trick of course is finding them. I'm quite old school about the patterns I use for Stripers & still rely heavily on Deceivers, Seaducers, Clouser Minnows, Half & Half's & bucktail streamers. Plus, I really like Murdich Minnows. The EP style flies are another productive fly that I have in my fly boxes. I also use a lot of eel patterns, primarily tied with rabbit strips, but don't know how well they would work in a freshwater impoundment. Might be worth trying, however, as the action of such flies is superb & Stripers slam them.

If you need ideas for flies, check out these two websites: The first is the site of Capt. Henry Cowen, who is well known for his excellent & productive fly patterns, and guides for freshwater Stripers in GA. Henry's fly patterns are proven & he's a great guy! You might try contacting him for additional advise. He's a real nice guy & loves talking fishing for Stripers.
http://www.henrycowenflyfishing.com/

The second site is that of Capt. Chris Newsome, another great guy & a guide in the VA Beach area. Chris primarily fishes the waters of the lower Chesapeake Bay, and is another superb fly tier. Chris is quite innovative too, and has developed some unique patterns. Chesapeake Bay Fly Fishing & Light Tackle Fishing Charters in Virginia

Chris's patterns are in the "Articles & Lessons" section of his site.

Hope this helps!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!