View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dydimo spread not due to felt soled boots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
You read my post wrong, phosphorus does NOT make dydimo bloom, it stops it from blooming.
Sorry, I meant phosphorus levels.

Quote:
The point being made is that dydimo is already endemic and pervasive in North America. Dydimo has already spread and banning felt is not a solution to preventing further spread. The cows are already out of the barn!
So, didymo is everywhere? I highly doubt it. Yes, it's pervasive, but there are still places that don't have didymo yet. Probably mostly in remote streams (probably all or almost all tailwaters and/or popular fisheries have it), but there are places without it, I'm certain. And yes, it's spread COULD be stopped. The cows may be out of the barn, but they're not in the neighbor's pasture yet.

Quote:
What is causing the spread, I surmise, is the current trend of reducing phosphorus in detergents and lawn fertilizer. So as we get rid of phosphorus to prevent algae blooms we get dydimo blooms.

Ever wonder why NZ has such a problem with dydimo? They have lots of crystal clear streams and rivers with low phosphorus because there is little run off from agriculture and lawns.

Basic epidemiology 101 states that we cannot stop the spread of what has already spread. How we then prevent disease is to make the target population less receptive to the disease. We monitor phosphorus and allow some phosphorus back into lawn fertilizers in dydimo prone watersheds.
If we only look at fisheries downstream of golf courses, then your theory holds true. But there are lots of waterways that have probably never seen an ounce of fertilizer. Besides, I really don't think the solution to fixing one water quality issue (didymo) is to promote another (fertilizer).