View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beginner surf questions

In the surf I agree with Rip 100% that floating is the way to go much better control especially at night. In the bay and sound I will use a sink tip when needed due to lack of current and wave action.
Casting towards shore is easier then away once you figure out your angle of water movement. Have caught some big Stripers in sloughs and the wash while angling my casts towards the beach!
Sharks are the least of your worries especially if you wet wade like me.! Worry more about jellyfish and stepping on skates ! Always shuffle when you walk.
I like an 8wt in the bay and sound I prefer a 9 or.10 in the surf but that's just me you need to find what is best for you.
The only time I would be concerned with sharks is if you keep fish on a stringer and swim or wade a long distance . Stringers can be a magnet in some situations as I found out the hard way years back. I don't do that anymore!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser