Thread: Casting issue
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 04:43 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1 View Post
I am wondering if someone may be able to help me out? I seem to have developed an issue with my foward cast when fishing a dry fly. It tends to happen when I get excited or when I'm casting in chest deep water. On the foward cast the leader get's "squirrely" it sort of flies left to right erratically (like a dogs tail wagging when he is about to get a treat) and then slaps down hard on the water. I have been trying to analyze what I am doing wrong and can't seem to figure it out. It's not a tailing loop. I'm not sure what its called, but its becoming an issue. I put down a few nice fish over the weekend.

Appreciate any help..

Here's the bad news.

It is impossible for me to tell what you are doing in your casting stroke without a video of you casting. In fact, I cannot tell if your normal casting stoke is a good or bad without seeing you cast. You may have an inefficient casting motion that cannot compensate for the situations where you are having difficulty.

Just like a baseball player that has a bad stance at the plate cannot hit a curve ball, a fly caster must have sound fundamentals when they need to make varying casts. Does that make sense?

Secondly, you don't even say whether you are right or left handed caster. This is important.

Given that I cannot be certain what is going on, here are several possibilities.

If you are a right handed caster and the cast lands the leader hooks right to left, it may be a cast that hit the water before the leader straightened. The fact that it hits the water hard suggest that this may be what is happening

If you are a left handed caster and the cast is going from left to right, the rod tip must be going left to right just before the stop.

Are you unconsciously casting more sidearm, like a karate chop that goes from high to low and is slanted right to left?

Are you turning your head to look at your backcast. This backward turn of the head can cause a shoulder turn which then causes your casting arm and the rod tip to move in an arc from left to right on the forward cast left handed caster. Normally this causes a curve but not the hook you are describing.

For both lefties and righties, when an elbow forward or low elbow style of caster wades deep, they have to change their normal casting motion or the elbow of the casting arm will hit the water. The inexperienced caster does not know how to cast from the elbow up position and move the rod tip in a straight line to the target.

Check to see if any of the above could be at fault.

Here is a little article on the three major casting styles.

http://fedflyfishers.org/Portals/0/D...l%20Styles.pdf

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy