View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod

Its cool that it is an old thread and maybe runningfish while chime in with what his experience turned out to be. My Biscayne Bay guide likes fast #9 rods because long casts with large lead weighted flies are the norm in his non-wading habitat. It is windy most often and you never know when a permit might raise its twin fins. In the Bahamas I fish an 8-weight most of the time with a #7 and 9 on board and available. The 9 will be rigged with a large crab fly with lead dumbbell weighting for the rare permit sighting or a big bone on a deep flat or channel. The 7 is a delight wading a skinny flat in a protected lagoon on a calm day with unweighted flies. 8-weights are most bonefishers bread and butter. I avoid rods in all my fishing that "require" over lining; it is a tip numbing feeling I don't like. When poling, I prefer a powerful 8like NRX or Hardy's Proaxis and, since I have the quiver to do so, I like a gentler rod when I get out of the skiff to wade. Scott's S3s or older Heliply are terrific wading rods with lots of feel and in-close kneeling on your knees aptitude. Without a barracuda or tarpon set up, my wife and I will regularly have 6 or 7 rods rigged on our skiff. With a few experimental exceptions, our reels include Abel, Islander, Hatch, Nautilus NV and my newest winner, Hardy Fortuna X. We use tropical lines from SA, RIO and Airflo without prejudice depending on which mates best with each rod. Depending on the individual outfits characteristics, it will have a different size/weight fly non-slip loop knotted to its fluoro tippet. Often the rod selected to come out from beneath gunwale storage is the one with the anticipated optimal fly for the flat before us.

I am absorbed in trout fishing currently but I am getting excited about the autumn now writing about bonefishing tackle!