View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Re: For Bonefish, Bass and surf 8wt rod

Thank you for the invitation Sweet and Salt.

Well, I had only 5 hours to fish while the In-Laws and wife were out at an outlet, I must say it was an overwhelming experience. I was at the Jupiter inlet with my 8wt Zenith, Allen Kraken 3 reel spooled with Rio SW Aqualux 8wt and mostly using the Enrico Puglisi bait fish pattern.

When I arrived, there were already many fishermen fishing from the rock and from the shore on their spinning setup basically throwing all kinds of baits/lures. I was the only one who had the fly rod and with the wind blowing like that I guessed you know why the others had the spinning outfits.

That was my 2nd time ever fishing the surf, I could cast a good distance straight into the wind double hauling with very low angled Belgian cast but couldn't get the line to stay in the foam long enough. Almost immediately my line was swept back to the shore line. My lack of line management skill in the surf made everything worse. I couldn't keep the stripped line in my stripping basket, I was basically performing a line dance for everyone there. But I have thick skin, so I kept on doing it. I took a brake and walked to the rock and see if I can spot some predatory fish. Lot's of bait fish, but not a shadow. An older fella approached me and told me that he was skunked out and just yesterday there were snooks every where but not today. Well, I don't need Yesterday's News. He recommended me to go to a park nearby and so I did.
Casting from a higher ground with palm trees on my back and strong wind from my right wasn't fun at all. However,I could see a couple of larger fish came right from the depth to investigate my offering, but no taker. An older fisherman who was fishing with cut mackerel approached me and told me that he would bring his 12wt for this wind.

So, I went back to the Jupiter Inlet with my spinning reel and with 1/2oz bullet weight and sand crab pattern. I got a light tap, set the hook but too much slack line and couldn't hook the fish. "Fortunately" my time was up (the In-Laws and wife were heading back home). So, I walked the beach to my car when I spotted bait fish boiling about 80ft away and in the middle of the boil was a big fish. I don't know what kind, but big. I cut my crab fly and the weight off and put a Shimano lure. But by the time that I finished tying the lure, the boil had disappeared. I laughed, I laughed and I laughed some more.

I learned a hard and good experience in that 5 hours. My high mountain wind and swells are nothing compared to the surf. At the moment, surf fishing is like a foreign language book for me. I got skunked but at the same time I have some fun as well. A nice Wendy's Flat Bread meal with some root beer floats completed my day. Thank you West Palm Beach and Florida, I guarantee to be back there again.

There you go Sweet and Salt.