View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting out - Tool list

Utmost enterprises gets a % off Batson blanks and components etc as well as perhaps Pac Bay. If you email them they are very helpful and charge actual shipping. Also used blanks from Ye Old English Fly Shop and like them, good blanks for the cost, made one for my wife and one for myself. To Rip Tide's list I'd also add Acid Rod. Depending on what you are looking for Golden Witch has some great components. They might focus more on bamboo, but I also like getting stripping guides from them. Most of the stripping guides page is agate but near the bottom are some great ones for graphite rods.

I've used blanks, both graphite and bamboo, from Angler's Roost and they are fine, personally I'd use snake brand guides though. Great quality and the guide feet sit very well on the blank without having to do a bunch of prep work. They cost more but they are worth it. Here is their site or Proof Fly fishing is another place to get them. Matt got me into fishing and is distributor for Snake Brand and also sell quality cork if you want to turn your own grip otherwise most of the other sites sell pre-made grips.

Building a wrapper is very very easy and pretty cheap. Here are some plans.