View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Interesting Alpine Fish

Most certainly it is a char.

I would have agreed with Kelly on it being a bull trout (or dolly as the sea-run are called). Countr21 sounds like he knows about the stocking programs and has also caught them, so I agree, Lake Trout.

I also echo Ard in wondering why in hell a state Fish and Game agency would be stocking Lake Trout in the alpine.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
Absolutely...bull trout juveniles. True, bull trout have more fan tail than forked but juveniles typically start with the shallow v as you see in the pics. Laker juvies...are for sure forked...right from parr to juvie to adult.\
Sorry Joe but the Bull Trout's historical range does not reach to the East Slope of the Rockies. The furthest E that bullies go is Alberta.

There is just no way these are bull trout. And a lot of your I.D. clues are not full proof. Bull Trout actually do have "pointed" heads and as Poke 'Em pointed out, Lakers do not have black lead edges.