View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Time to get my own

There are a lot of good-quality medium-price rods on the market right now, but there are a lot of mediocre ones too. The 2013 Yellowstone Angler 5 weight shootout recommends the 9' 5 wt Mystic Reaper as a "best buy" at $199. I haven't tested that one myself, but it would definitely be on my short list based on their recommendation. I would also look at what high-quality value brands like Redington, TFO and Echo are currently offering. Then I would compare them to the Orvis Clearwater, which I have tested and is another surprisingly nice rod for about $200.

Ultimately it all comes down to what feels best in your hand. The more of those you can find locally and actually try, the better. If you can't try a lot of them, at least find a fly shop where the sales guy knows his stuff and isn't just talking through his hat.

You should be able to add a line and reel for $150 or less. I agree with the others who say you don't need a fancy reel for trout fishing, but you do want one sturdy enough to survive a couple of drops onto the rocks.