Thread: Hexes are here!
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hexes are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip8k View Post
I get a lot of missed strikes with the extended body flies. I must not be tying them right.

you might be tying them just fine...but the old count to two rule can be of help too...

unlike nymphing , a slight bit of time is necessary for the trout pulling down a dry...I always count to two...then lift up the tip and set the hook.

if this is not the issue for you please disregard...OK...no insult intended at all...

I know folks can have what we have called the "nymph twitch" and not wait long enough...
No insult taken. It's a good idea.

However, in my case, I fish for hexes during the dark so I don't actually see the take. I estimate just about where the fly is and I listen for the slurp. Sometimes the fish has not taken my fly but a real hex. Other times, the fish has taken my fly but I have not hooked the fish.

I get way more hook ups with the flex hex than the extended body hex. Before switching to the flex hex, I would "miss" 4/5s of the slurps and with the flex hex, I hoop up 3/4s of the slurps. Because I rarely see the take, I can't say for sure what is happening.

It was pitch black when I caught this one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy