View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis Hydros reel

I have a 9'/#6 ECHO3 mounted with Hydros IV. It is well balanced and the reel's capacity permits use of #30 dacron backing which I find friendlier to my hands than thinner backing. The drag is actually stronger than I require for this outfits drift boat use and the main critique I have is that the drag knob yields less subtle, fine-tunable increments of adjustment per rotational change than is desirable for trout fishing applications. The tolerances are not particularly tight but there is very little flex which I like. A very serviceable but inelegant piece of work it is well suited to its bang about the drift boat assignment. Going into its 2nd year of use, I think I'll put a drop of oil on its spindle.