View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why Can't I Tie a Simple, Standard Tie Anymore?

Quote:
I'm always thinking of how to get more out of the fly, make it a little more natural / effective or how to get more blended/blurred subtle hues or colors into it to make it obvious that it is a forgery or make it move better in the water or something else along those lines.
I think we all go thru phases in our tying where our desire to be creative or improve upon what's already been done gets the best of us. It's easy to want to tie & be creative & improve the flies you tie. But, it's difficult to reinvent the wheel. Perhaps you're bored. Or, perhaps you're materials selection is limited enough that you just want to make the most of your tying. That's human nature IMO.

I've been going thru a mental block lately myself. I don't have a lot of desire to sit down & tie. I'm sitting here putting some finish on the heads of some flies I tied previous & never finished. I have more flies tied than I'll use, so have no real need to tie more. I've gone thru this before & always snap out of it. In the mean while, I'll browse the various websites I frequent & perhaps contribute something that will help someone else. This keeps my head in fishing & tying, and sometimes someone else will post a fly or even a lure that gets me inspired enough to want to tie again.

Don't sweat it, do what makes you happy. Eventually, you'll come full circle & will have little problem tying anything, even established & perhaps boring patterns. Sounds like you may just be bored or going thru one of those phases.

Frankly, as far as buggers go, I much prefer those tied with estaz in the body & flashabou in them to the basic bugger, so I don't tie a lot of them either.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!