Thread: Hexes are here!
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hexes are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

What hook were you using with your EB Hexes silver? I switched to a #8 2499BL from a standard hook. I can't say for certain if it's made a significant difference but the fly seems to ride better anyway.
I can't remember what hook I was using. Probably a standard dry fly hook. I'm thinking I should have used a shorter shank hook with a wider gap.

For those of you that have never fished the Hex "hatch" (actually a spinner fall), it my part of Wisconsin it can get really spooky. I've had big animals crashing through the woods not 20 feet from me. Although I know it is probably a deer, I'm always afraid that it is a bear.

When the Hex start to fly over the stream, the bats come out and they sweep over the river. I've hooked bats several times.

Another key element is that I always fish a part of the river that I know very, very, well. Although I am fishing in the dark, I can place the fly accurately by feel. The way you do this is to either "pre-fish" the river during the day or fish the same area year after year. You stand where you plan to stand in the dark, close your eyes and see if you can cast to a spot with your eyes closed. I rarely hang up.

Our spinner falls are so heavy that I catch most of the fish at the beginning of the fall. When the spinners are full blown on the water, there are just too many flies on the water. So early in the spinner fall, I am pretty sure that a slurp is to my fly. Later on I am pretty certain that it is not and I have quite while the fish are still feeding because you just can't catch fish. The best nights of fishing are when there are enough flies to bring the fish up, but not so many that the fish get sated. During those times the fish feed throughout the spinner fall. So earlier in the Hex hatch season and then near the end of the hatch when the hatch is tailing off can be better fishing than when the spinner fall is heavy.

Sometimes when the spinner fall is really heavy, I will twitch the fly in an attempt to attract the fish to my fly. Usually it doesn't work though.

It's a paradoxical situation to most spinner falls because the Hexs are so large that the fish stop feeding during a heavy spinner fall and the actual fruitful fishing time can be relatively short, for example, 45 minutes or so. In most other mayfly spinner falls, the fish feed throughout the "hatch," Not so during a heavy hex "hatch."

Remember when fishing in the dark, take a backup small flashlight. I've had a batter go dead on me. So I take a head lamp and a small backup flashlight. Years ago, I came upon another fly fisherman whose flashlight had died.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy