View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Why Can't I Tie a Simple, Standard Tie Anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
I wish I could be that successful!

I'm always thinking of how to get more out of the fly, make it a little more natural / effective or how to get more blended/blurred subtle hues or colors into it to make it obvious that it is a forgery or make it move better in the water or something else along those lines.
I view a tie (I need the basic) the same as do my cooking. Take the basic recipe and don't screw with it. Now that you know how it tastes the second one I'll start to play .... but alter just one ingredient. Tie a couple of those on different sized hooks; repeat with just a single change, etc.

An example of the above is the simple Steelhead fly called 'The Skunk.' That evolved into the Green Butted Skunk, the Red, etc. 90% all these variations (usually) have only one change from the original. All work.

Now you hit the water and rotate through the ties to see which gets the most attention (YOU HOPE!!)

Fred