View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helena, MT 6/20-6/22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
New Hyde being brought up from Idaho Falls to a dealer there.

I actually wanted a Clacka, but finding a used one proved to be a tough task. For the money, this Hyde should serve me well, even if it isn't quite as nice as some of the Clacka boats.

Oh we WILL be floating the Missouri. I've been told flows are low, and obstructions almost non-existent. That's a good thing because this is my first drift boat, and I don't want to be on a raging torrent my first time out.

I'd thought about fishing the Big Horn as well. So many options, so little time!
Can't blame you on the first choice of a Clack; easiest boat to get in/out I've ever been in (for context I'm 71). Rows a treat even with an old fart on the sticks.

That said, as this is NEW to you, find a close by lake where you can launch and just row around and get used to the sticks, boat turn, alternate oar use to spin the boat (set up into fast water), etc.

Learning "how" to row a boat on a river is not a safe thing to do 90% of the time. That other 10% is you're with someone who already know how to row. And he will be yelling at you: 'Right oar! Pull, Pull, both oars-PULL, Put your back into it!!'** Etc. And don't forget the 45 degree 'Rule.'

JUST TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!

Fred

** If you do get the PULL! PULL!! You may already waited to long to adjust.