View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rebuild old Hardy or buy new

Hi dennis,

I don't know your available finances but it sounds as though you're wrestling between spending money to have 2 great reels with some serious sentimental value repaired or buy something cheap that you can fish. Only you can answer this question, it sounds like a pretty personal choice to me.

The cost of a new Hardy Featherweight list is $249 and $279 for a new LRH. You could spend about the same to have both of these rebuilt and preserve the mojo that your friend passed along to you--you can't buy that. For that reason alone, I would keep them and have them rebuilt, even if it were one at a time. That LRH with 2 spare spools will cover a lot of bases and isn't sized much different than the Featherweight. I'd get that one done first and fish it. When you get a little more money built up, have the Featherweight done.

On the other hand, you could always find both of these with some wear and in serviceable condition for around $200 give or take depending on the condition and whether you buy one from another angler on a fishing forum or go to the big auction site. For that matter, find yourself a vintage LRH and use those two spools you have. They should work for you.

If you need something to fish with now, then it might make sense to find a cheapie reel to get you through until one of them are done. You could always sell that once you get one back in service.

Let us know what you do and by all means, if you get them rebuilt, please share before and after photos with us. Many of us here have quite the affinity for those old Hardys, myself included.

Last edited by jaybo41; 06-14-2013 at 08:49 PM.