View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you keep dry flies, well, dry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Tonight I used that little M Fly for the first time and also the little foam fly. I caught about 8 or 9 nice bluegill (I never knew they were as pretty as they are). I had I can't tell you how many little nibbles and I hooked and lost so many fish it was driving me nuts. I need to learn how to set a hook right using a fly line and those teeny, tiny hooks.
Ray

The others have offered great advice on conditioning dry flies so I won't add anything.
No one offered any advice on setting the hook. Here are a couple thoughts: The further you cast out the harder it is to set the hook. You want slack in the line so there isn't any drag, but this usually isn't an issue on stillwater, so be sure you don't have too much slack between you and the fly, so as soon as the line hits the water get control of any slack. Keep your rod tip low, this will help you minimize the amount of slack line. Usually with dries, the advice is to wait a second before setting the hook, some advice I have heard is to say "God save the queen", before setting. However, I have found that on small fish they can be extremely fast at sampling something on top of the water, so you reaction has to be fast. Last summer I found a big pool on the Green River just outside town, it was loaded with 8-14" rainbows and it was a blast to go out for a couple hours and toss dries, but those little guys are FAST so you have to react quickly.