View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do you keep dry flies, well, dry?

Thanks a lot for all the answers. I did use the Loon gel stuff on the foam fly before I tossed it out there. I thought it was overkill but maybe not. Somebody on this thread confirmed that even foam sucks up water and sinks some.

I was afraid to put it on the CDC and I guess I was right, there, too, but the CDC flies sunk quickly, especially after a fish hit it or I caught one. I found that I could only do so much with it once it got wet. I didn't know if I needed to tie new ones on as much as I did. But is there any way to help CDC flies float longer???

As far as slack in the line goes, I know I have too much slack--almost all the time. I am using these gills to help me with everything: plain old casting, roll casting, and getting used to how to fish with flies in general. I know still water is nothing like fishing in moving water but it is practice.

Yesterday was the first time I had the guts to even try false casting and it was neat to see that it actually worked: I was able to get 2-3 more casts out of a fly before it was totally sinking.

It is amazing what one learns but I hope I am not creating some bad habits at the same time. I found myself "reaching" a lot last night. What I mean by that is that, during the forward cast, I reach my arm out and then tilt my wrist. I know that is wrong, so it is the next thing I will have to work on. It is easier to work on casting in the water than it is in the yard, so around water it will be.

Thanks again for all the advice. Some people are saying that women's make-up remover works great, is really cheap, and you can get a ton of it. I may try it. Some other people were saying Scotch Guard but there is something, I don't know, wrong about that.

ray