View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rebuild old Hardy or buy new

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
Thank you. The man who did the work on my Aiden & Princess was Bill Archuleta, and he did a superb job. The prices i quoted in the 1rst post were his. They are not unreasonable at all, and dealing with him was a pleasure. The question is, do i want to spend that on older, heavily used reels? the answer is in me, and i thank you for the thoughts. I m quite sure I will eventually get them done and have Bill do them. My experience with him is about as good as it gets. I might just get them done to give to my son. A full set of made in England Hardy Reels could be a nice gift. Other reels I have. Poles i have. Streams are getting rare!

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

"By the way, your friend must have thought an awful lot of you. Those reels alone that he passed along to you are wonderful examples of highly functional, yet simple reel designs. Add to that the rods he passed along and I'd say he felt you were a great friend."

He taught me how to fly fish. He was the older brother/father I never had. Although we lived far apart after i moved away from my home town, we'd meet in Yellowstone and fish the Madison and the Firehole, or in Portland where his kids lived, then drive off and fish the Deschutes. Yes, he thought well of me, but not nearly as well as i thought of him. True mentors are hard to find.
Good stuff dennis, you're on the right track with Archuleta. The more you speak of your friend/mentor the more I believe my opinion on how you should proceed with these reels is the right one. It is not my money however and the repairs needed must be significant, thus I understand why you might be reluctant to invest in restoration. Please do keep us posted.