View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage Announces New Fly Fishing Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I am surprised that so few advocates of high performance rods have weighed in on this news release
---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

And the new reels, at least in the images posted here, appear to feature spring steel protected rims as devised by the great Ari't Hart of Holland. With their stacked carbon disc drag system, dual rim palming surfaces and protective partial framing they may well represent notable improvement over Sages existing well respected models.
Frankly, a long time ago I got tired of the Sage flavor-of-the-month marketing. I don't mind fishing with classic rods with classic actions and really don't need a rod because it has a new marketing buzz-word in its description or because it was slightly changed over last years finest rod ever made. Besides, losing half of the rods value because they're being closed-out a short while after their introduction is a game I would rather not play.
Sag has, without a doubt, the best marketing in the business. Hype and hoopla aside, when they introduced a new model I could always find the attributes they claimed to bring to the market were already readily available by other rod makers. Sag did own the market on too-fast rods that needed to be over lined to be appreciated by mere mortals but that was about as original as I would give them credit for. Heck, it took them over a decade to finally latch on to using a graphite scrim like the true classic Loomis GLX's.

Reels. I would consider their reels if they would consider making them in the same country they make their rods in. Their reels are WAY overpriced for what one should pay for a reel made where they are. Other reel makers can make superb reels right here and price them an a par or below what Sag charges. I guess just having the name Sag on them allows them to elevate the price but then Sag really isn't in the business of manufacturing clothing or reels. That's marketing again.

So put me down in the 'meh' list for yet another in a long list of new Sag
rods.