View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Choosing my next rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by little yellow humpy View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I should add that my next rod will likely be the rod I let other people use when we go camping, etc., and they want to learn. I was leaning toward a 6wt so they could use it on rivers and on lakes as well for bass and larger trout.

William: I do catch small fish up near and in Yosemite, although I don't set out with a goal to catch small fish.

Trekker: I like the way you think!

Moucheur: I was ready to pull the trigger on a 4 wt, 7-6 ft. rod for 50% off but I was discouraged by someone who told me they use theirs so rarely. So I listened and lost out. Both of my rods, the 5 and 8, are 9 footers.

Thanks again for the opinions.
You won't use a shorter 4 as often as your all-rounder 5, true, but you will have more fun with it in the situations that call for it. It will do things the heavier 9 footer just can't do as well.

Choosing whether to use a 9' 5 or 6 if you have both will be more of a six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other proposition. The 5 will be a little more sensitive and the 6 will have a little more oomph, but they both will do pretty much the same things. If you want to be able to bring along an all-purpose rod for a buddy who doesn't have one, get the 6. You'll end up preferring either the 5 or the 6 most of the time yourself, and the other will become your spare.