View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Choosing my next rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by little yellow humpy View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I should add that my next rod will likely be the rod I let other people use when we go camping, etc., and they want to learn. I was leaning toward a 6wt so they could use it on rivers and on lakes as well for bass and larger trout.

William: I do catch small fish up near and in Yosemite, although I don't set out with a goal to catch small fish.

Trekker: I like the way you think!

Moucheur: I was ready to pull the trigger on a 4 wt, 7-6 ft. rod for 50% off but I was discouraged by someone who told me they use theirs so rarely. So I listened and lost out. Both of my rods, the 5 and 8, are 9 footers.

Thanks again for the opinions.
You won't use a shorter 4 as often as your all-rounder 5, true, but you will have more fun with it in the situations that call for it. It will do things the heavier 9 footer just can't do as well.

Choosing whether to use a 9' 5 or 6 if you have both will be more of a six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other proposition. The 5 will be a little more sensitive and the 6 will have a little more oomph, but they both will do pretty much the same things. If you want to be able to bring along an all-purpose rod for a buddy who doesn't have one, get the 6. You'll end up preferring either the 5 or the 6 most of the time yourself, and the other will become your spare.