View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: 8.5 or 9 ft for a 4wt?

Besides the environment to be fished, it really depends on the design of the rod. My antique Orvis 8'/#4 Western as never needed to be replaced because it is just a small stream special with its little CFO IV. I love 8 1/2'/#4's for spring creek dry fly fishing and recently added a new (but older tech) one to my quiver. It is a Loomis Streamdance GLX and a delight to fish...if I could only have one #4 this might be it. However, I have more rods and I have commented before how spectacular the Loomis NRX 9'/#4 is...but it is NOT a small stream rod. This is a 4-weight for bigger water and it features low end grunt with a highly responsive tip that encourages me to use it instead of a #5 (but with a straight RIO Gold #4 line) on big dry fly tailwaters and the Fork. So, the answer is, it depends.