Thread: Casting Issues
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikefisher69 View Post
yes it does happen when I try to get out more line. Should I just cast normally and let the rod do the work
If you read my earlier reference you will note that the fly rod bends, shortening the distance of the rod tip to your casting hand. When you try to get a bit more line out, you are likely "shocking" the rod just before the end of the cast. This sudden punch bends the rod tip down toward the casting hand and when the rod straightens, the get a dip (concave shape) in the rod tip path that causes the tailing loop.

You need to add more power during the entire casting stroke by using a longer stroke length and a faster but SMOOTH acceleration. You may also have developed a "creep" on the forward cast as you anticipate the delivery cast. Unless I see you cast, those are my thoughts.

http://archives.flyfisherman.com/content/creep-and-jab

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 06-19-2013 at 03:15 PM.