View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM
chi flyfisher's Avatar
chi flyfisher chi flyfisher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 554
chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Sage XP, Z-Axis or One 990

I'm specifically looking at folks who fish these rods. I am looking at buying a 9 weight for Kings to fish the Great Lakes. I fish an 890 XP as well as a 8100 Loomis Native Run GLX. I've caught my share of Kings with both of these rods and truth be told, I could get away with them 70% of the time. But the other 30% of the time, especially with that Loomis, I think the 8 weight is going to blow apart. I have resigned the Loomis completely from the equation for the most part unless I'm high stick nymphing eggs in a big river with a ton of room to let the fish run. Even then, in fast water, turning a fish out can be a challenge. I need more back bone. Enter the 9 weight discussion.

So I'm looking at XP and Z-Axis, both of which I have significant experience across multiple line weights. I can pick these up used at a nice discount and if I break it, I'll pay to get it fixed and still be cheaper than a Sage One. However, the Sage One is purported to be exceptionally light and more importantly have a lighter swing weight - that holds value to me. I'm not worried about the test cast, I'm sure I can pound it out and fish close enough with it and I'm sure I'll like the feel (and I will of course cast one should I decide to go that direction). However, who fishes with one, who uses it for big fish, who can dig a King or whatever else you choose out of the current or from under the boat and get it done with these three rods?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Cheers,
Mike.
Reply With Quote