View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 06:05 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 8.5 or 9 ft for a 4wt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I cast several H2's at Somerset including both tip and mid-flex 9'/#5's. The 8 1/2'/#4 was not yet developed. In a blind trade off with a fishing friend, we both thought the tip-flex more than preferable to the dull-tipped, hingy, mid-flex. There now is a mid-flex 8 1/2'/#4 but no tip-flex forthcoming. Oh well, I will try the mid-flex but what are these folks thinking? I will say, the H2 9'/#8, in this case tip-flex only, may be the best graphite rod Orvis has built in three decades. Go figure; what hey are not none for they build a winner and what they design for their local streams only they and their loyalists can adore.
Over the years Orvis catalogs have consistently promoted the 8 1/2' 5 wt and the 9' 8 wt as their best all-round rods for trout and saltwater, respectively, so it makes sense to me that they would take extra care to get those two just right in a new product series. When they filled in the gaps in the series I;m sure they probably spent more time on some than others. I'm guessing they conceive of their 9' models as competitiors to Sage for Western conditions and so put more effort into the faster designs than the slower ones. If you want a medium action 5 weight they will steer you toward the 8 1/2 rather than the 9 anyway.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 06-20-2013 at 06:48 AM.