View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 02:07 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Need a cheap-o, short, 4wt setup--this any good?

I currently have only one fly rod and reel.

I know, I know: What can I be thinking only having one set up? Well, I think I am going to go down the slippery slope here soon. The setup I have is a 9-foot, 5# rod and reel. I am happy with it but I find myself getting in trouble a lot if there are a bunch of obstacles around me. I have been practicing a lot on stillwater and I am finding that as long as you can get to the spot, you can usually cast a fly rod at least a little.

That said, I am finding the 9-foot rod is a pain in the neck more and more often. I want something that is a little less obstructive. I don't necessarily need to cast any distance and I am only catching trout and bluegill, for the most part. I am sure I may hook onto a bass at some point but I haven't yet.

I was looking at this setup in Amazon:
Redington Crosswater Outfit Reel, Line Weight-4, 7-Feet 6-Inch, Blue : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors Redington Crosswater Outfit Reel, Line Weight-4, 7-Feet 6-Inch, Blue : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
. It doesn't seem all that bad for <$100.

I do not need anything wonderful--just something that works. How is that rod? Has anybody any experience with a Reddington Crosswater?

thanks,
ray