View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 06:18 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A Book And Its Cover... Reconsidered...

At about 5:30 this morning, I made an "executive decision"-- I'm sure that I'll catch a ration of "it" later from both the Speaker AND my doctor--to go through some of the mail that piled up during my short "surgical" absence. Among the letters rested one thick envelope on which the address was obviously hand-written, something you seldom see much these days.

Without going into great detail about the actual content, let's just say that it was a "Thank You" note from a man who once gave me cause for many misgivings, especially while astream and moreso when he was with his sons. After reading his letter-- also hand-written, by the way --I now hold to the promise of good things from him, and much better days ahead for his adventures with his sons.

I have no doubt that the letter had been difficult to write, as he gave me more insights than expected, and I learned more about him, his past and how he'd come to lose his way in life so badly. He included as well how he intended to make some of the changes necessary to get back to the basics of enjoying his time on the river, and the hours with his boys.

As the letter drew to a close, he asked but one last favor of yours truly, and that was to be able to call on me in some way if he felt his path in life taking another turn in a wrong direction. It wasn't within me to say "No." After all, it takes a great deal of courage to leverage it all, so to speak, and open oneself up to scrutiny by an objective "third party." Besides, I see great potential for the writing of new chapters for this trio in the years ahead, and I'd like to be around to help the man and his sons author a few new "river pages" as the years unfold...