View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing fly line -- Redington CT 9' 4wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
While I don't have the CT, I have several 4wts that I rotate lines through. One of those lines is Rio Gold (older version) and another is Airflo Supple Tactical. I've found the Airflo line is a little better suited for dries than the Gold but by a nose. Airflo makes that line in both WF and DT versions.

Gold has long been a staple for me, but evidently, I need to consider alternatives if the line moved from .25 to .5 line over. Mastery Trout may be one such alternative. I have not weighted these but if you believe the data on Rio's website, their new Perception line in 4wt has a head mass of 155 Grains vs. Rio Gold's 175 vs. Grand's 165. If Grand is 1 full size up and Gold is .25 or .5 or whatever the claim is, why is Grand's head mass less than Gold?
When you go back to the Rio website, look up the line profile link to each line. The Rio Gold has an extended head of 47 feet, and the Grand has a head length of 38 feet. Then look up the grain weights of the first 30 feet. The Grand has a heavier weight measurement at 30 feet than the Gold. When lines are measured for AFTMA standards, they are measured at the first 30 feet.

Dennis