View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner Fly Tying Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdubya View Post
. The fly shops in the area are pretty pricey with their flies which I why I am interested in tying my own. Thanks again for all the help!
I don't want to burst your bubble, but the likelihood that you will save money tying is pretty low. That is what I told my wife, when I got into tying. When I bought materials, I even tried to tie enough flies that at $1-2.0 a fly I was covering my cost. Now I own thousands of dollars of flytying material. Eventually, everyone loses their discipline and starts buying materials for the ties they want to tie. For instance, I have tons of zelon for my blue ribbon and Mike Lawson flies. I also have materiels for Mike Mercer Caddis flies. Then I have my stuff for Elk Hair Caddis. Then I bought stuff for Lafontaine Caddis. I had to get the good stuff from the bookmailer of course.

The bottom line is that when you look at the number of flies that you can tie from the materials you have it is pretty impressive and you usually tie at a low cost per fly. The problem is it takes a lot of flies to make up for your capital investment.