View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beginner Fly Tying Kits

buy the orvis kit you mention in your first post IF it contains the correct materials needed to tie he flies you want to tie. if not, then move on to another kit that has what you want.

its possible that kits contain materials that you will never need or use but i disagree. you CAN use those materials to practice tying your own specific creation or to practice different tying techniques. using your imagination you can create just about anything.

the materials you get in a kit is certainly not of the highest quality but CAN be used to tie some respectable flies. granted you may not use all of the materials in a kit but so what. theyll be there if you ever decide to try tying something with them.

after all is said and done, i would definately head out to that orvis shop near you and take a good hard look at that kit you want to buy. thats the only way to tell if its right for YOU. if not, i hope you had a plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdubya View Post
I did notice that the Orvis kit I mentioned comes with a ton of tools that I can't see myself using each and every one of them.
Click the image to open in full size.

that is quite possible but there is always the possibility that one day you just might need that one tool thats in that kit you thought you would never use!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/