View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pteronarcys californica...

That is a great looking pattern Ted. Great job with the natural materials, and personally I like the lack of hackle. All the Salmonfly patterns are fluorescent orange foam bodied things which I've never liked. I tie them sans hackle as well with CDC for an over-wing, adds flotation and nice movement. But anyway, I think they fish better down in the water.

But then again I haven't had any luck with this hatch for a few years. My buddy told me it's a once every five years odds that you hit it just right. I was on Rock Creek a few weeks ago...everything was supposed to be perfect; tons of huge bugs, early enough that the fish hadn't been completely pounded into submission, great water conditions, blah blah blah...no a single fish rose to the fly. Or any of the naturals I kicked into the water. It is an incredibly fickle hatch to fish.

Larry, the Big Hole and Madison hatch is much later than the Rock Creek hatch, I think it's right around the corner...you could hit that one!