View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scouting trip,I am looking for a fishing and camping spot around Bend? 75 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I don't know much about the area, but I do know that Denny Rickards conducts stillwater clinics on Diamond Lake, which is just north of Crater Lake NP, so I'm guessing there is some good fishing there as Denny is a trophy trout stillwater expert.
Sooo yes for fishing Diamond Lake. State of Oregon takes VERY good care of this body of water. Lots of tent/cabin spots right next (just off) the Lake. Last estimate (and this is a pretty good sized lake, but not huge) there were (from today's State fishing report) "300,000 catchable trout up to 10 pounds."

DL is about 60 miles (memory here only) east of Roseburg, Oregon and freezes up every winter (you can fish through the ice, but I wouldn't). Ice out and its a great place to use a float tube, boat, etc. I think the normal trout limit is five fish, here it's eight.

Edit: Several years back the lake got over run with Tue Chubs (what ever the heck they are, or how they got there) and Rotoned the entire lake and killed everything. Couple of years rest (lake is snow feed) and restocked with fingerlings. Without competition they grew close to an inch per month.