View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: new guy and never really fished before

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronedog View Post
my loops are definitely getting better but even better is they are getting more consistent. I am working in just the 25-40 range with the line. not really doing much false casting but just a lift cast and letting the line shoot. the two big things I have realized so far is that; one the stroke is a lot shorter than you would think. on the back cast I feel like I stop at 12 and on the front I go to 11. in reality I am probably going farther than that but that is what it feels like. I also saw a tip where the guy said he feel like he is throwing the line up in the air on the back cast. since trying that my fly stays air borne better. it is just tough to do while trying to keep that elbow close to your side. the tendency is to lift the arm and elbow and then I go too far back.
the second thing I am realizing is how important it is to wait on the line to extend on the back cast. when I wait enough I get a nice loop on the forward cast. I think the 5wt rod with this mod/fast tip is really helping on the timing.
I practice everyday some place. either in the front yard or right on the bank.
so I am still water casting in a pond. right now I try to start with about 25-30 feet of line. no false casting but I just try to see how much line I can shoot. if I have my stroke and timing right it will go out to about 40 feet or close. my questions right now for you all is this.
[forgot this before] sounds like you are right on track and doing well. [end of what I forgot to type before]

I almost always use a roll-cast-pickup when I can. It seems a lot less obnoxious to me. With the line in the air in front of me, I find the back cast to be a lot easier.

I have all of my lines marked. There is a certain point with all my setups where I can easily roll cast the line of the water and load the rod easily. The point varies on different set-ups. I used a sharpie to indicate where to grab the line with my line hand. What this gives me is the ability to get the line up and moving easily and a baseline that I can use to determine how much line to let out of take in.

Last edited by random user; 06-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.