View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 09:28 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Replacing a reel seat/uplocking hardware

This is not really about building a rod nor am I a rod builder, but I figured this would be the best location to ask this question:

About a year ago, I bought a nice 8ft 5wt bamboo rod from a gentleman in TN. The hardware is good, it casts well (although a bit slower than I'm used to but that's good). The one ding I have on it is the uplocking hardware. the tolerance between the reel seat band (?) and the fine threads is very tight. No play whatsoever. So, when I fished with it, I torqued down the uplocking nut. I couldn't get it off because the tolerance is so tight that it wedged the back of the band on the threads and would not come off. It took a screw driver and a hammer to remove it so I could get the reel off.

I like the look of the reel seat, it matches the pale blond blank really well. I'm NOT happy with the uplocking. I've discussed this with a buddy who builds rods (not bamboo) and he said he MIGHT be able to replace it. I can't get in touch with the builder (lost his contact info).

Is it possible to remove the seat and uplockhardware from the handle and not damage the rod? I'm OK with a new reel seat, but I don't want to destroy anything in the handle or the blank.

Any info would be appreciated.