View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Replacing a reel seat/uplocking hardware

Depending on what glue he used, you might be able to heat the seat and remove all but the hood (if it is inletted into the handle). Common practice is to put the seat in a plastic bag and place it in boiling water. After a bit you can try to remove the seat. Do not twist the seat as you can damage the blank. Especially bamboo, it can de-laminate. I am sure I am not telling your builder buddy anything he already doesn't know.

Glues like your two part Urac-185 use heat to set it and it is very tough after it is set. So you might not have an issue with de-limation due to heat. If the bamboo blank was glued up with something like Titebond III de-lamination could be an issue.

If you remember the builder's name, first or last, shoot me a PM. I am on a Bamboo builder's mailing list and can put out an SOS.

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16