View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 05:11 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

Recently, I was asked to describe the late Montgomery Jackson in much greater detail. And, I've given a great deal of thought to that inquiry as of late, as I believe that all due considerations must be made before making the formal introductions. I only hope that the following "picture" of the man brings to life all that the late Montgomery Jackson was over the course of our many years as friends...

If measured on a purely physical scale, one would have judged Montgomery Jackson to have been "lean and weathered" in his later years. At 5'10" in vertical rise with a bearded face that bore the markings of many hours spent outdoors, his weight never seemed to change much, despite his love of all things deemed "bad" for a man-- good steaks, sweet-cream butters and sweeter pastries, fine single-malt scotch, and an ongoing affair with pipes and cigars. He scorned the advice of most physicians, choosing instead to live his life as he saw fit, and enjoy those things that gave him the most pleasure.

Philosophically, the late Montgomery Jackson was the best kind of friend to have-- afield, astream and in life. He forever was putting "the Lad(me)" into the best trout lies, or moving me into the best positions for a fair shot at the flush of a ruffed grouse or woodcock whenever his dogs would be hard on point. He approached our friendship as a father would a son, and in the same manner in which he lived his life-- full on and with no regrets.

Beyond all that, however, was the generosity of the late Montgomery Jackson. Beyond all "fiscal" considerations, he was generous to a fault with his knowledge, his wisdom, and in sharing those things that were most special to him-- a favorite stretch of river or a secret covert that always held a bird or two. He was the ultimate "teacher" of all things outdoors, a perfect "grad-courses" complement to my earlier lessons learned at the side of my grandfather and "Doc" Holship. An aspiring "sportsman" couldn't have asked for a better group of instructors...

Not long before the passing of the late Montgomery Jackson, I had a "portrait in the stream" sort of painting done of the man, hoping to have it adorn the walls of "Trail's End" before he took his leave. He died a few weeks before the painting was finished, moving on to his place among those who had pre-deceased him.

Today, the painting hangs not far from where I now sit, to remind me of both the man and all that he stood for. Seeing it there on the wall and pausing for a moment before each and every outing, the portrait carries with it the kind of memories that I like to carry with me whenever I head outdoors. Without these "remember when's," my time astream or afield would lose something very near and dear to my aging heart-- the gift of recalling a life lived well...

Last edited by hairwing530; 06-30-2013 at 02:56 PM.