Thread: Good 9wt rods
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 AM

reidsisk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Good 9wt rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
i do all my largemouth fishing with either the TFO mini mag 8wt. or a Mystic 8wt. with sinking line. i have found the 8wt. throws anything i want. and pulls the big boys out of cover

Click the image to open in full size.

and the TFO throws these well!

Wow those are monsters! So the mini mag is that good? I thought about getting one for their reputation for casting big flies and handling big fish well.

Whered you get that Frog fly? that thing is really cool!

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
To be honest, and not to infer anything on your end, but I think that casting larger flies is much more about casting technique than rod weight. My standard bass rod is a 6wt and I throw everything from small to large, including size 2 heavy eyed clousers, large 1/0 foam frogs and mice, and heavily weighted crayfish. I've never felt that the 6wt was undergunned for my flies, especially since casting 80 ft is really unnecessary for almost all freshwater bassing applications.

My new primary rod for just about everything is a 2wt, and I can still throw size 6 tungsten bead leeches, smaller foam frogs, and medium streamers on it. If you know how to haul or double haul, you can save yourself 1 or 2 rod sizes and get more enjoyment out of the fish.

I guess if you are consistently pulling 6lb bass from a patch of lily pads than a 9wt might make sense, but I can get 25 lb stripers on my 9wt.
I guess that makes sense. My casting isnt the best on the planet, so thats probably my problem! One problem for me is the lakes with the monsters around here are pretty much all lily pads and milfoil. Once you hook them, they swim straight for the crud... Its hard to pull them out even with my Sage LMB. The bass around here are about 4-6 lbs average. Catfish are monsters too, same with the gar.