View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not having much luck in Northern NH.

The water is still really high I would think, but you might want to try over on the Androscoggin when you get a chance. Up in the 13 Mile Woods area south of Errol.
I've been told that the fish over there are not nearly as educated as those on the CT River.
During the latter part of June there's huge hatch of what is locally known as alder flies but commonly called zebra caddis . Due to the high water this hatch may continue longer than usual.
You could try a dry fly like an elk wing caddis or a Kings River caddis for this hatch but in my experience what the fish really key in on are emerges. Any you don't need anything fancy.
I use a partridge and peacock soft hackle, but you won't find those in most fly shops. You should ask around for what the locals use, but any nymph or wet fly with a peacock body in about size 12 will do. Something like a Coachman, Prince nymph, or zugbug.
Fish it "on the swing" and manipulate it so that it "swims" to the surface right in front of feeding fish.
Other that that think about trying some pond fishing. Pond hatches are strong now and fishing should be good for a month or so.
The CT River below Lake Francis is a tailwater. That means good water temperature for trout all summer. However.... those fish play hardball.
Good luck to ya.!

Alder Fly
Click the image to open in full size.
Kings River caddis
Click the image to open in full size.