Thread: 2 weight rod?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM

plecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 weight rod?

I've got three '2 wt' rods:

St. Croix Imperial - 6'0"
St. Croix Legend Ultra - 7'6"
Sage ZXL - 8'0"

The one I use the most often, by far, is the 6-ft. Imperial. Here's part of the reason:

When I measured the ERNs of these rods, I found the Imperial is really a 1 wt. The Ultra is a 2 wt, and the ZXL measures as a 3 wt.

Also, the Imperial weighs only 1.8 Oz. (Ultra 2.8; ZXL 2.6) Combine it with a light reel and you have a small, light package.

I've caught 1 1/2 lb. trout with it. It bends a lot, but is otherwise fine. The only negative I can see is hook-setting. It's so light that you have to put a little extra oomph into the hook set.

Plus, it's the least expensive of the bunch ($170). (I should mention it's a two-piece. Broken down, it's still longer than the others.)

--Paul

Last edited by plecain; 06-30-2013 at 11:06 AM.