View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are there some fly fihing spots near highway No. 1?

Thorsten,

Since the ocean will be directly on your left for most of the drive, surf fishing would be a great way to enjoy the beach and fly fishing at the same time.

A good friend turned me onto fly fishing the surf about five years ago, and I absolutely love it. While there will occasionally be rivers and lakes near where you are travelling, the coast will be right there next to you the entire time. It is a free and endless resource.

A great book on the subject is Ken Hanley's "Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone"
Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone: Ken Hanley: 9781571881779: Amazon.com: Books

It is a quick read and has all the information you need to get started. It has specific information for fly fishing the Pacific Coast through California, Oregon, and Washington.

I would recommend an 8-wt. rod with a 300-grain sinking line, a stripping basket, and flies that imitate sand crabs or other small crustaceans, or small baitfish patterns. A short leader of 4-6 feet of 10-lb. mono or fluorocarbon will do the trick.

Cheers,

-VB